The health of your eyes is important, as your eyes are not invincible. You can help prevent diseases, like glaucoma, if you make sure your body receives the necessary nutrients. And you should also be aware of the warning signs of this disease so you and your optometrist can deal with the issue before it's too late:
Glaucoma affects the optic nerves of your eye. The optic nerves are responsible for transferring the data (or images) your eyes perceive to your brain. You will eventually lose the ability to see without your optic nerves. Most experts associate glaucoma with low blood circulation to the eyes and excessive eye pressure that begins to affect your optic nerves.
The following are just some of the warning signs to look out for:
- Trouble adjusting to dark rooms
- Having to blink or squint abnormally when you first enter a bright environment
- Issues focusing on near of far objects
- The color in your iris is beginning to change
- Red-rimmed, crusted or swollen lids
- Any recurring pain around your eyes
- Vision changes like double vision, frequently seeing spots or ghost-like images
- Dark spots in the middle of your field of vision
- Lines or edges beginning to appear wavy or slightly distorted
- Frequent watery eyes
- Dry eyes accompanied by an itching or burning sensation
You need to talk to your optometrist immediately if you suspect any of the aforementioned symptoms. Keeping up with your eye checkups is the best way to detect glaucoma before it begins. But there is something else you can do.
Prevent Glaucoma With a Healing Diet
You already know that visiting your optometrist is a good preventative measure, yet there are other things you can do. You can make sure your optic nerves are protected, and you can do that with certain antioxidants. Oxidative stress can diminish your eyes' ability to defend your optic nerves and retina. The most important antioxidants to consider are lutein and zeaxanthin, which are common in several foods like the following:
- Brussel sprouts
- And cucumbers
You should also make sure you have other antioxidants in your diet like vitamin A, C and E; zinc is also important. You can also make the following drink, which contains spinach, cantaloupe and bilberries. This leafy and fruity combination contains all of the nutrients your eyes need to be protected. To make your juice, follow the steps below:
- Juice a handful of spinach in your juice extractor.
- Juice 1 small cantaloupe and a cup of bilberries.
- Blend the juices in your blender or by hand and enjoy. You can always alter this mixture to your liking.
As you can see, knowing as much as you can about glaucoma can help you prevent it.